DOHA SMOKE from a diesel generator room at Lulu Hypermarket in Gharaffah almost caused pandemonium on Thursday as customers mistook it for a fire outbreak.
Noticing the smoke, the wary customers informed the Civil Defence department, which drafted fire fighters to the spot immediately.
Lulu Gharaffah Outlet Manager Basheer said, “The diesel generator pumped out the smoke when it activated due to fluctuations in power supply. The generator, which is fixed close to the firefighting pump house, will automatically activate even with minor fluctuation in power supply. Our customers mistook the smoke for fire outbreak. Lulu has highly-equipped fire prevention system.” In its website, the Ministry of Interior (MoI) described the incident as a ‘minor fire’ at Lulu Hypermarket. (SC)