WHY SOME WOMEN WILL NOT ARRANGE

LANI ROSE R DIZON

DOHA renewed single-mindedness among women, either unwanted or an active choice is a complex problem. At a recent meet organized by the Sidra Medical and Research Center in Doha, an official of the health called the growing number of cases of delayed first time marriages that of course in delayed pregnancies among women here, a public health problem.

The issue is one of the objectives of the national strategy for development to reduce the number of Qatari women who are unmarried aged 30-34 with 15 percent.

To date, about two-thirds of the women in Qatar both marry late or never get married, a report on the social and Economic Survey Research Institute (SESRI) certified.

A count of the 2010 released by the Qatar Statistics Authority also reported that more than 29 percent of women in the age group 25-34 had never been married, while never married women in the age group of 35-44 have increased from 13 percent in 2004 to 15 percent in 2010.

Huge improvement in the educational profile of women in Qatar, their greater participation in the labour market, the high cost of weddings, impact of the media and the sharp decline in the ratio of men against women all contribute to this trend, the study added SESRI.

Amidst all the ' alarming ' figures seems to be a wonder, how these women who are the subject of these statistics, really feel? Fatma, a 28-year-old Qatari and a member of the National Women Team Qatar screens, says she is not feeling pressured to sit down and start a family anytime soon.

"I'm turning 29 this year. But I'm still not thinking about getting married now. Life is good and one is good. Many of my friends have to stop playing professional screens when they get married. Maybe I will also get married in the future, but it's still a little too early for me to plan. I honestly don't know when. It's not that I'm too busy with travel during matches. I'm just enjoying my life right now. Marriage is something that I am still not seriously considering at this time, "said Fatma.

As a professional Qatari schermer has Fatma spent time traveling abroad for competitions.

She's been to the GCC and Arab countries and also to distant countries as Japan, Korea and the Philippines to represent Qatar in fencing tournaments. Currently, they aimed at young girls learn how to do screens.

They also plan to go back to the University wants her degree in mass communications next year.

Anne (not real name), is a 31-year-old African expatriate and a media professional in Doha, who has always dreamed of walking down the aisle. She remains, however, one without perspective for marriage in sight because they also stipulates about ' don't settle for anything less. "

She said: "I have made up my mind that I will never settle for less. I need a person who at least two years older than me, someone from my own ethnic group and financially stable. If I plan to get married in Qatar, should I get from someone who is financially stable, so that he is able to meet the needs of our family will be. We need money for school fees of children because education here is expensive. I need someone who shares the same faith which I also have. I am always dreaming of walking down the aisle, but until now I have several proposals rejected because they don't meet my standards.

And even if that remaining one means I will not settle for less ".

Rullette, a 44-year-old Filipino expatriate living as a caregiver of hospitality for a real estate firm here, said: "I was 25 years old when I was first involved in a romantic relationship. The second was in 2008 when I came to Qatar. But both did not end in marriage. I don't think it is because of my career that I remain one.

It's more about the lack of options.

Number one on my list is that we need to share the same faith. And at my age now, I would also like to someone who is better than me in terms of finance, career, as well as spiritual maturity. However, I'm completely happy with my life now because I can say for myself that I have my one year in maturity and grow in my faith. I have the pressure to get married, which I only in my late 20s experienced overcome.

Now, I'm fully satisfied and there are so many things I still would like to do. I remember those years when I was wondering why my friends were getting married and I was not, I prayed for my desire to marry until age 45. So I am completely satisfied with the way my life because this is what I also have prayed for ".

Rinsy, a 28-year-old Indian expatriate who works as prices executive for DHL, now feels pressure to get married. Her parents are currently on the look-out for a suitable partner for her. She said, "I waited until now because I had to concentrate on my career. In the past, I have also rejected proposals, especially when I felt that the person is not a good match for me. What I am looking for a man? I just want someone with a good behavior, someone not suppressing a woman but respect her as his equal. I need not really a rich man.

Someone who deserves an average income is fine. "But at least he deserves like me, because sometimes maybe there ego problems between us if I marry someone with a salary lower than mine".

Sarah (name changed), a 24-year-old Arab-Canadian expatriates came to Doha last year. They married at the age of 20 and was divorced on 24. She said, "right now, we do not really mean that there is a perfect age to get married. We can not guess girls to get married so young because now things have changed, and girls like to get educated and they want to be more independent.

A lot of marriages break up also because people don't really willing to get married as young are now. I think it is good that the Qatari government is addressing the main causes of the problems of the late marriages. It's good that they're not really just the girls accuse to postpone it.

They have to realize what is it that really makes postponed girls and they are trying to address these causes. I think the most important thing about this is to prepare for the marriage of girls and boys. There should be education classes or some programs where you actually prepare them. Marrige is actually a major change in one's life and you have to be prepared for it. So if people are better prepared and they in financial state, why not go for the marriage. "

Related Posts

Post a Comment

Subscribe Our Newsletter