FROM SCALES TO CANVAS

AILYN AGONIA

DOHA DESIGNING and building structures is what Arnel Sarmiento does professionally as a civil engineer.

But in his spare time, he splashes colour on canvas to create pictures very unlike the concrete structures he helps build.

It was his ‘artist hat’ when he showcased five of his masterpieces to painting enthusiasts in Qatar for the first time during the recently concluded International Artists Doha (IAD) Exhibition.

Arnel’s painting titled Striver had some of the art viewers talking, especially his kabayans in the crowd, as the artwork mirrors the hardworking Filipinos. The painting was sold out with two bids during the silent auction of the event.

“I was very excited to exhibit in Qatar.

Although it involves hard work and coordination with other artists, I think it was a success,” he said about his experience.

The civil engineer-artist left the Philippines in 1990 and became a US citizen in 2000. Prior to moving to Doha a little more than a year ago, he worked for Parsons Corporation in the US which he had joined in 1998. During stint with the firm, one of the world’s largest engineering and construction companies, he worked on prestigious projects like the Southern Nevada Water Authority’s intake structure, pumping stations, ozone water treatment, widening of I-15 highway (Las Vegas area) with about 40 bridges, and many more.

Working for Parsons Doha he has had an opportunity to work on Doha South local roads and drainage projects. The dynamic art scene in the country also allows him to be in greater touch with his own artistic side. He looks forward to his next exhibition.

In conversation with Qatar Tribune, Arnel talked about his love for painting.

WWhhenn ddidd youu sstart painntinngg anndd wwhhat wwass youur fifirsst ccreationn?? I remember having started drawing when I was in the elementary grade. I loved drawing soldiers as their uniforms impressed my young mind. I think I have so far done over 500 pieces.

WWhhy ddidd youu nnot puurssuue painntinngg ass youur mmainn professssionn anndd innssteadd optedd to bbe a ccivil enngginneer?? I was very interested in buildings and their structural components in my college years. I did not pursue arts because I didn’t think then I could make a living out of it.

AAre thhere anny particcuular sskillss or knnowwleddgge ass a ccivil enngginneer thhat youu ssommehhoww apply wwhhenn youu painnt?? I apply scales and proportions in my drawings.

WWhhat iss youur sstyle inn painntinngg?? Do youu innccorporate elemmenntss of youur Filipinno hheritagge inn youur wworkss?? My style is always evolving. If you looked at my previous paintings, you would find that they were always tight and detailed. Now I try to loosen up and incorporate abstraction. That’s why I have come to love the magic of watercolour.

I have experimented with using minimum colours and tried to apply analogous and triadic (secondary) colour schemes. My favourite subjects are landscapes. I hike regularly when in the US and always keep my camera when hiking. I then paint my favourite scenes from what I have captured in the camera. I did some Filipino heritage works like jeepney (most popular means of public transportation in the Philippines and carabao, but not much.

I however want to do it in future.

WWere youu abble to exhhibbit youur wworkss wwhhile inn thhe US?? Yes, I held a few exhibitions in the US, but not like this one. IAD is more organised and creative.

YYouu sspoke abbouut ssellinngg youur painntinnggss thhrouugghh eBay. WWhhenn ddidd youu sstart ddoinngg thhat anndd wwhhy?? When the US economy was in good shape, I sold many paintings through eBay. I started doing it about five years ago. I sold four paintings a month on an average. A majority of the buyers are from the US, but some are from Europe and other countries. My subjects are landscapes and flowers. These themes sell more than my passionate paintings.

WWhhy ddidd youu ddeccidde to wwork inn QQatar?? WWhhenn are youu plannnninngg to ggo bbacck to US?? I came to work in Qatar due to the slowing down of the US economy. I also want to experience the Middle East and plan to travel around the area. I’m not sure yet when I’m going back. I still enjoy the company and friends around me.

HHoww oftenn ddo youu painnt?? WWhhat are youu wworkinngg onn nnoww anndd wwhhat are youu plannnninngg to ddo?? I tried to paint once a month but it usually depends on my mood. I’m not working on any painting right now, but I will surely do more paintings for the next exhibition. I’m planning to join exhibitions as much as I can, while in Doha.

Related Posts

Post a Comment

Subscribe Our Newsletter